Curriculum Vitae - Mary Pines, PhD
I use paint, pen and digital media to alchemize nature and the imagination.
I have drawn and painted obsessively since I was a child, participating in group shows and live painting events since the age of 15. I have always been both an artist and a scientist: I studied art and art history through my teens, studied sciences in school through my 20s, and became a research scientist in my 30s, painting in every spare moment I could muster.
In 2015, I left laboratory life to pursue my life-long passion for artistry. I immersed myself in learning from established artists and in cultivating my own painting style.
As self-taught painter, I weave ideas from my scientific training into abstract and surreal paintings inspired by nature. I create digital art using elegant super-resolution microscopic images I collected as a researcher.
Professional Experience : Artist
· Whistler, BC: Painting locally-inspired works, commissions and murals (private residences), as well as digital art; showing at temporary gallery exhibitions; live painting at events and plein air for Arts Whistler. September 2017 - present
· Vancouver, BC: Painted commissioned works and murals (private residences); featured in 3 group shows at galleries in Vancouver and Seattle; life drawing; live painting at public and private events in BC and Washington; conceived, curated and executed a large visual art gallery for a local arts festival, showcasing artists from across the Pacific Northwest (Blessed Coast; 2016-17). July 2016 - August 2017
· Kauai, HI: Exhibited paintings at Infinite Arts Gallery, Hanalei Bay; live painting at local events and markets; studied with local artist, Max Lemaire. Nov 2015 - June 2016
Exhibitions & Activities
· Winner: Cover of ‘Arts Whistler’, Whistler’s quartlerly arts magazine. Feature artist in cover submission exhibition, Feb 6 – May 31.
· The Art Pedal Gallery. Group Exhibit. April – present.
· Arts Whistler: Live painting in Whistler Village Squares. July 3 & 25.
· Mycelia Luna: Live Painting & Group Exhibit. Roberts Creek, BC. March 31.
· The Audain Gallery: “Mix n' Mingle” Event, Whistler Pride Week. Live Painting & Solo Exhibit. Whistler, BC. January 25.
· Blessed Coast Arts & Music Festival: Live Painting & Group Exhibit. Squamish, BC. July 28-30. More info.
· Dream & Vision Art Show: Group exhibit. Praxis Arts, Seattle, WA. April 13 - May 13. More info.
· Ignite Passion Now Learning Intensive, with Satyen and Suzanne Raja: 3 days of Live Painting. Langley, BC. February 3-5.
· An Evening of Enchantment: Live Painting. The Beaumont Studios, Vancouver, BC. January 25.
· “Live Your Dreams” New Year's Eve Gathering: Live Painting. Vancouver, BC. December 31. More info.
· Praxis Arts: Group Exhibit. Seattle, WA. December 10-29. More Info.
· Imagine Arts & Music Gathering: Live painting; Group exhibit. Orcas Island, WA. September 14-16. More info.
· Blessed Coast Festival: Live Painting; Initiated, curated & organised the first visual art gallery featuring works from 8 artists from across the Pacific Northwest. Squamish, BC. July 22-24. More info.
· Mana Fest Art & Music Festival: Live painting, Gallery exhibit. June 26. More info.
· Infinite Arts: Group exhibit. Hanalei Bay, Kauai. May 2016 – January 2017. More info.
· Hanalei Art Gallery (Formerly: General Store of Hanalei): Group exhibit. Hanalei Bay, Kauai. February - December.
· Fisheye Kauai: Group exhibit. Princeville & Poipu, Kauai. March - December. More info.
· Ayden Gallery: 'Influorescence' Group show. June 12-July 5. Vancouver, BC. More info.
Professional Experience : Scientist
I completed a PhD in molecular Biology & Genetics at Cambridge University, and a Post-Doctoral Fellowship and 3 years as a Research Associate at the University of British Columbia. Over 13 years in academic research, I designed, conducted and supervised experiments, mentored students, formed successful collaborations, wrote and reviewed scientific publications, participated in public outreach programs and presented at conferences.
· Research Associate: Lab of Dr. Michael Gordon (Neuroscience; Autism). Dept. of Zoology, UBC. 2013 - 2016.
· Postdoctoral Researcher: Lab of Dr. Guy Tanentzapf (Cancer and developmental biology). Dept. of Cell & Physiological Sciences, UBC. 2009 - 2012.
· Graduate student: Lab of Dr. Katja Röper (Development). Dept. of Physiology, Development & Neuroscience, Univeristy of Cambridge, UK. 2005-2009
· Scientific contractor: Data compilation, database cross-referencing. Abcam Ltd, Cambridge, UK. 2005
· Graduate student: Lab of Dr. Ivan Sadowski (Cancer mechanisms). Dept. of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, UBC. 2003-2004.
· Research Assistant, Thesis: Lab of Dr. Roger Brownsey (Diabetes). Dept. of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, UBC. 2002-2003.
I currently volunteer with Arts Whistler, Zero Ceiling (Whistler youth recovery charity) and Whistler Pride. I have also volunteered for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society of Canada Fundraisers & Charity runs (Vancouver), UBC Science Outreach volunteer, Car-Free day Volunteer Coordinator (Vancouver), Vancouver Sun Run, Chariots of Fire (UK), East Anglia Children’s Hospice (UK) Santa Run, 30-Hour Famine, the ‘Empty Bowl Project’ Event (co-designed and produced the first), Jump Rope for Heart, Unicef, and others.